Location: Portland, Maine
The University of Southern Maine is please to invite nominations and applications for the position of Chief Business Officer (CBO).
Reporting directly to the Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration, and having a service reporting relationship to the University of Southern Maine’s President, the CBO is a member of the President Edmondson’s cabinet and is the chief financial and business advisor to the president and campus leadership team. In addition, the CBO is the primary liaison to the functionally aligned services managed at the University of Maine System (UMS).
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual with a fiscally sound, innovative spirit who is a strategic thinker and leader. We are looking for an innovative business development leader who is excited to forge groundbreaking partnerships and support the University’s commitment to academic excellence, guided by our Priorities and Academic Pillars – Vision 2028:
- A Focus on Relationships
- A Future-Forward Curriculum
- The Integration of Learning and Work
- A Mission of Service and Citizenship
The Chief Business Officer is a key partner in achieving the University’s ambitious strategic vision for growth and will focus on complex work related to revenue generation, budget management, and resource allocation. Success in the role will be evident as USM continues its promise to be Student Focused Every Day and is fully committed to our core values: Respect & Care, Integrity, Equity and Responsiveness.
The University of Southern Maine is a deeply personal, welcoming campus community. With a highly engaged student-centered learning environment, USM is a steward of higher education, helping drive the economic, cultural, and civic life in the communities where our campuses are located. We are committed to providing expanded access to high-quality education that elevates economic opportunity and contributes significantly to the vitality of a diverse society. The University offers Baccalaureate, Master's, and Doctoral programs in residence and on-line, providing students with rich learning and community engagement opportunities in the arts, humanities, politics, health sciences, business, mass communication, science, engineering, and technology. Further information on USM can be found here.
Our campus lands were the ancestral fishing, hunting, and agricultural grounds inhabited by the Abenaki and Wabanaki people for thousands of years. This includes our three campuses – Portland, Gorham, and Lewiston where over 60 languages are spoken in the region.
- USM’s Portland campusis currently expanding and is located in "one of America’s most livable cities," according to Forbes magazine, which also ranks Portland among the top 10 for job prospects. A creative and diverse community on Maine’s scenic coast, Portland’s metro area is home to over half a million people and nationally known for its arts and culture, outdoor recreation, beautiful beaches, and amazing food.
- USM’s beautiful residential Gorham campus supports and celebrates excellence in academics, athletics, music, and the arts and is home to ten Living Learning Communities and six Residential Halls.
- Our Lewiston campus is located in the second largest and diverse urban area in southern Maine. This Central Maine campus integrates classroom, community, and workplace and provides a small college commuter experience with the resources of a large university.
For a full job description to learn more about the essential duties and responsibilities of the Chief Business Officer click here.
This is a full-time position with frequent work beyond regular hours (to include evenings and weekends). The annual compensation for this position is $175,000. The primary office is located on our Portland Campus with expectation of work/service on Gorham and Lewiston/Auburn Campuses.
The University of Southern Maine is committed to developing a diverse faculty, staff, and student body. It embraces an inclusive campus community that values the expression of differences in ways that promote excellence in teaching, learning, personal development, and institutional success. Our Office of Equity, Inclusion and Community Impact supports the University of Southern Maine’s DEIA and Community Impact focused departments, committees, groups, projects, training, and events. USM encourages women, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and people from diverse racial, ethnic, and cultural backgrounds to apply.
The University of Maine System provides a highly competitive benefits package that includes: holidays, vacation and sick time; health, dental, and vision insurance; life insurance; short and long term disability insurance; a tuition waiver program for employee and eligible dependents; a 403(b) retirement plan; and more. Click on our Benefits Information Summary to learn more.
- A bachelor's degree with fifteen (15) years of management/leadership experience in finance and/or business development OR Master’s degree or terminal degree with ten years of management/leadership experience in finance and/or business development.
- A demonstrated track record of creativity and innovation in developing and implementing strategies and solutions to meet the needs of a complex organization and those of that organization’s stakeholders. This includes new business plans design and execution, expansion of auxiliary programs and leveraging of physical plant assets.
- Excellent interpersonal skills for engaging with internal and external community partners.
- Demonstrated ability to develop, analyze and implement long-term sustainable financial models.
- Ability to perform advanced analytics in support of strategic decision-making.
- Ability to manage large-scale capital projects.
- Supervisory experience overseeing multi-disciplinary operational units in a complex organization, including service-focused units.
- Well-developed knowledge and ability to interpret and apply federal and state laws and regulations.
- Working knowledge of financial information systems, web technology and database applications.
- Evidence of progressively responsible senior leadership in finance, budgeting and planning for complex organizations such as health care, higher education, or county, municipal, or state government.
To apply please click on "APPLY FOR POSITION" at the bottom of this page or visit USM Jobs.
You will create an applicant profile, complete an application, and upload a cover letter and resume/curriculum vitae. Finalist candidates will be asked to provide a list of names and contact information for references.
The Chief Business Officer will support our institutional vision of equity and inclusivity. The applicant cover letter should include how your work and/or volunteerism aligns with the USM Mission Statement. Specifically, address your commitment to equity and excellence in your own work, how it has contributed to inquiry and belonging, and how it would inform your leadership role at the University of Southern Maine. This could also include active engagement with employee resource groups/affinity groups and community involvement.
We will examine candidate packages on an ongoing basis as they are submitted.
All required materials must be submitted by April 28, 2023.
We are not able to consider applicants who require Visa sponsorship support.
Appropriate background screening will be conducted for the successful candidate.
In complying with the letter and spirit of applicable laws and pursuing its own goals of diversity, the University of Maine System does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender, gender identity or expression, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship status, familial status, ancestry, age, disability physical or mental, genetic information, or veterans or military status in employment, education, and all other programs and activities. The University provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding nondiscrimination policies: Director of Equal Opportunity, 5748 Boudreau Hall, Room 101, Orono, ME 04469-5754, 207-581-1226, TTY 711 (Maine Relay System).